Thursday, September 6, 2007

A working blog (perhaps I should rethink the title leesies LEISURE)

The fall semester has begun! This blog will now do double duty as a record of thoughts on my search for a thesis topic. I ran across this website today:
http://www.design.cmu.edu/show_news.php?id=91&m=200611
that has a story about a graphic designer turned fashion designer. In the article she mentions that her thesis involved working with inner-city youth in an after-school program. The kids become agents of positive change as they designed magazines, board games and created videos about topics they thought were important. The topics ranged from bullies to pit bulls to the war in Iraq. I like how her thesis melds together a variety of interests that I share... A concern for and enjoyment of working with youth (I was a girl scout leader for at-risk girls in Raleigh, NC; I've worked with teen girls in various youth groups) and the development of educational materials for children. It's also an interesting experiment in user-centered design as the end users are creating materials for themselves – kids designing for kids. I'd like to find out more about her thesis and will email her to see if she wouldn't mind chatting with me about it, sooo more on this later!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Alisa,

Just wanted to give you the link to what I mentioned in class, very much along the lines of this project.

I'll also look for my GAIN Conference CD, and see if this presentation is on there.

http://www.sweatequityenterprises.com/Organization

Have fun with it!

Emily

emilysquared.wordpress.com