Wednesday, September 19, 2007

other thesis projects

I spent a bit of time looking through the School of Visual Arts 2004 thesis projects this morning. Their theme was Designer as Entrepreneur, an idea we thought quite a bit about in our Design for Innovation class last year. The site doesn't tell the 'rest of story' as in which, if any, of these projects became reality and were mass produced and sold. There are interesting ideas, although the focus seemed to be more on the design of the branding and not as much on the product's innovation or its function as part of a service. One project that looked like an attempt to break that mold was called Go Gowanus, which was a plan to improve the reputation and increase awareness and use of the Gowanus canal. The design of all the artifacts, i.e. brochures, banners, maps, website, etc., were extremely well executed and there seemed to be plans for tours, art shows and clean up events, but I'm not sure how much of this actually happened. I went to the website, but it was no longer there. I'd have to say I wasn't overwhelmed by the exhibit, I think the main reason being the lack of innovation in many of the projects. There were many slick, cool and edgy looking products which showed that much consideration was given to the design, but there seemed to be a lack of depth within some of the projects.

I would love to design packaging for a new type of cookie or salsa, I would salivate over a project that involved writing and designing a travel book or children's book, but I'm not sure this type of project would constitute an mfa thesis. Perhaps if the product was part of something larger. Let's say I was interested in dispelling stereotypes of West Virginia and wanted to research, write and create a travel book that worked to dispel those myths or bring out the charm in them. (I find offbeat, disintegrating towns like Grafton wildly fascinating and always manage to meet up with interesting characters) Maybe the book is paired with a website that was interactive somehow... a place where people who've traveled to those spots mentioned in the book could tell their stories as well. Who knows? But back to the exhibit - One project I did find to be awesome was a book about signs in rural america. I'm not sure how original this idea is since I've thought of doing something like it myself, but what a seductive coffee table book idea! The designer was especially interested in typography and was designing fonts inspired by the signage he was exposed to on his journeys. And the most innovative product of the bunch I thought, provided a fun service to the physically disabled amongst us. The products consisted of padding covers for the backs and seats of wheelchairs that had upbeat, cool patterns and colors that could be swapped out. There were also different brightly colored cane handles. I've never seen this before and thought it was an incredibly thoughtful, creative and fun idea.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Let's say I was interested in dispelling stereotypes of West Virginia and wanted to research, write and create a travel book that worked to dispel those myths or bring out the charm in them. (I find offbeat, disintegrating towns like Grafton wildly fascinating and always manage to meet up with interesting characters) Maybe the book is paired with a website that was interactive somehow... a place where people who've traveled to those spots mentioned in the book could tell their stories as well. Who knows?"

I can't tell you how fascinating I think this project is, espeically as someone who has witnessed you meeting said 'interesting characters' --- please stop thinking about a thesis and do this one... for me?